Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Annie the Diva kid

I love my students. I absolutely plain old flat out LOVE them. They're adorable and hilarious and smart and fun. Sometimes, though, they can get a bit of attitude. Like Annie.

Today we did the "Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed" chant. I pick five kids to come up and be the "monkeys jumping" as the class chants. They LOVE this! Well, Annie wanted to be picked but I didn't choose her because she was yelling (it's been two months I've been working with these kids trying to get them to stop screaming when they raise their hands; the progress is moving at turtle speed, but at least we're moving forward!).
 
 

Well, not picking Annie sure was a mistake. Angry, Annie decided she was going to be a monkey whether I liked it or not. "I monkey!" she told me and got out of her chair and joined the other monkeys up front. "Six little monkeys," she told me defiantly. As much as I wanted to just let her do that, and allow six monkeys, I knew better. And the reason why set in quickly. As I tried to get her back in her seat, the class began yelling, "I monkey!" Soon 30 out of my 40 students were standing up front yelling "MONKEEEEEYYYYYSSS!!!!!"

I had to turn around from laughing. (I'm actually still laughing, this was so cute and funny) I then told everyone "NO! Sit down NOW!" It took a few minutes but finally the kids went back to their seats. I had to threaten "No monkeys at all! No monkeys! Sit down!" The kids sat back down. Except for Annie. Who stood at the front, arms crossed, pouty and completely adorable. I finally dragged her back to her chair where she glared at me and then promptly put her head down to cry. I felt pretty bad as I continued with the lesson. Just a minute later I saw her bring her head up. There were no tears coming out of those eyes. None. She saw me see her looking happy and quickly stuck out her lower lip and put her head down again. The little stinker was faking it! We switched to reviewing Halloween words and she was back, good as new and ready to go. I think I need to teach her the word "manipulative."

She might just be one of my favorite students. If I was allowed to have favorites, that is.

Then again, I have a lot of favorite students.

No comments:

Post a Comment